Sunday, April 23, 2017

Up and Running

Sunlight. That's the first thing I noticed as I laced up for my first weekday run post-retirement back in early January. For the past 26 years the only time I ran in daylight was on Sundays, or during official running events. Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday were always early morning jogs under the street lamps with the coyotes, possums and other nocturnal varmints. I could hardly believe I was running the Fullerton trails in daylight - during the week!
So, now that I've emerged from the darkness with respect to my morning jogs, it's time to do the same with respect to my digital footprint. Up to now, my presence in the world of social media and the internet has been marginal, at best. The last several years of my professional career were some of the most intense times I'd ever had at work. They were also some of the most rewarding, as I saw people I'd worked with for many years really rise to the challenges of a constantly evolving and fast-paced work environment. It also helped me develop a rigorous physical and mental discipline that often left me little time at the end of the day to sit down and reflect upon events. I usually recoiled at the thought of looking at a computer after sitting in front of one all day at the office. But now I'm ready to try my hand at some first-party narrative.
This blog will likely meander as I learn the technical ins-and-outs of posting photos and videos, and as I wander from place to place in time and space. The main purpose is to share some experiences with family and friends. Karen was kind enough to set me up on the blog and she's guided me through the initial sign-on/log-on processes--I don't know where I'd be without her. 
We're getting ready to head out on our first extended adventure with the Aliner. Shortly, we'll be leaving for Utah with no campground reservations and with only a general plan for where and when we'll be. It should be exciting in all respects as we learn about trailer camping, navigation, geology, natural history, and spending long hours in close physical proximity with one another. More on that later. In the meantime, I'll update the blog (look for it in the next day or so) with some activities that took place between the end of December and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment